Hi. We’re the main contributors to this blog, and here is a little about us.
- The most important thing to know about me is that Jesus has made all the difference. Though I was raised in church, it wasn’t until I was a young adult that it got real for me. God is more real, and closer than what you and I know.
- I’m married to my best friend, Nicole Ervin. We have two beautiful girls, Hannah and Tess. They are very white and catch fire in direct sunlight.
- I’m the oldest of 3. My dad is a first generation Christian.
- I’m a learner. I read and study. Blogging has been a great outlet for that, and put me in a position to keep learning.
- Proverbs is my favorite book of the Bible.
- I like to teach. I’m very focused on getting better at it. Again, blogging helps.
- I’m a Marriage and Family pastor. I tell my daughter that I “get to help other mommies and daddies love Jesus.”
- I never went to the 4th or 5th grade. I had leukemia when I was 10, and was hospitalized for a year, and another year to recover.
- My sin-habits are like those of the elder-brother in the Prodigal Son story. That means I’m a recovering religious meanie.
- I love writing and learning how to write better. I like teaching others to write, and am committed to making this blog highly valuable for readers.
I’m Brian Steele, the Student Life Pastor at CTK Bellingham.
- I’m where I am purely by the grace of Jesus. It is amazing.
- I’m a grateful dad of a teenage son.
- And used to follow the Grateful Dead (see #1 again).
- Being the Student Life Pastor at CTK allows me to see people get the snot blessed out of them (sometimes literally!) as God works wonders among the youth.
- Show me a rock and I’ll tell you its story (I’m still a geologist at heart).
- I’m happier than a clam when I’m in a North Cascade alpine meadow above the tree line. And generally happier than a clam, because I don’t think that clams can be very happy.
- I love to write and teach, it is the place where I learn the most. My first novel is in draft #7 stage.
- I’ll probably read Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and GK Chesterton’s “Orthodoxy” the rest of the days of my life and might be slightly disappointed if they aren’t available in eternity’s library.
- I grew up in northern California but am a Bellingham’ster through and through.
- Closest beverage on earth to heaven? Three espresso shots over ice, a little cream and sugar.
Here are Brian’s top 5 most-read posts:
- The Falling Man
- Why I’m a Christian Geologist… And Love Bill Nye
- One Polite Conversation with Two Satanic Protesters
- 3 Scriptures I Wish Didn’t Exist
- Stuck in Low Expectations? Try Maple Syrup Leadership
My name is Derek Archer. I work at CTK Bellingham (but feel a close affinity to all CTK’s). Here is a bit about me:
- I came to know the Lord half my life ago. I did not grow up in church, and was mad at God for my dad dying when I was young. A search for truth led me to the feet of Jesus. And he is awesome.
- I really can’t stand Christian cliches. Can you? If you see me using them, please let me know, so you can help me communicate better.
- Coming from a broken family, I really had no hope for a good marriage. I did not “luck out”, I was blessed with a partner who puts God first and fights for the best in everything she does. Her name is Christina. We love our marriage.
- We have three daughters. When our firstborn Chloe was almost two we got a teenager Courtney (who is now in college at UW), and then had another girl, Devyn a few years later. I love being a dad. I love watching each of my girls’ distinct personalities and seeing God in them. Nothing makes me laugh or smile like my girls. I will cry at each of their weddings for sure.
- I like Mexican food. Like may be an understatement.
- Coffee is great in all forms. I also love the relational connections that coffee shops provide.
- I love to travel, and seeing what God is doing around the world.
- If I see an empty building I think it should be a church.
- I like sports. The real ones. (And in my world, cheerleading is a real sport.)
- My greatest joy is seeing people coming to know, and then living fully for Jesus.
Here are Derek’s top 5 most-read posts: