Why I’m a Christian Geologist… And Love Bill NyeSeptember 6, 2012
By Brian Steele
Bill Nye accused me of a form of child neglect. And yet I love him. I’m convinced that evolution can’t account for creation, but still love “The Science Guy” who can’t account for his Creator.
In a recent video that has gone more viral than the bird flu, Nye said that parents who don’t teach their children evolution are doing a huge disservice to the next generation by making them scientifically illiterate.
Without bragging (too much) I’d like to offer my credentials for scientific literacy:
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Geology
- Masters of Science degree in Geology and Geophysics
- Post-Baccalaureate degree in Secondary Science Education
- High school earth science and math teacher
- Washington State licensed Geologist and Engineering Geologist (#220)
- 15 years professional experience in engineering geology consulting
- Author of a historical fiction novel about Sir Isaac Newton and the transition from classical physics to quantum mechanics in 7th draft (6 year long project and study in science history).
- Technician in uranium-lead radiometric dating laboratory.
- Father who for 14 years has strove to instill a wonder for science and the scientific method into my son.
And I aslo believe that Jesus Christ is the Creator of all things who sovereignly holds all things together. This puts me squarely in the cross hairs of Bill Nye. But there are two main reasons I love him:
- The Creator Loves Bill Nye. Jesus loves people who don’t love him. Jesus loves those who deny him, reject him, disbelieve him, refuse to give him glory, neglect to bow their knee. This is grace. For a large portion of my life this described me. And God gave me grace while I gave Him the finger. The grace of God operates powerfully in people’s lives before they come to faith. I love Bill Nye because Bill Nye is loved by Jesus.
- Bill Nye is a part of Creation. You cannot love the Creator while hating his creation. As much as I’d like to poke Bill Nye in the eye, any jab to him ultimately is a jab to Creator Jesus. People can and should be loved, despite scientific disagreement, despite political disagreement, despite being unloveable. Nye is a wonderful, hand-crafted, original creation of the Creator. He’s truly brilliant, uniquely talented and even in his unbelief in the God that made him, The Science Guy still bears the image of the God of Science, Jesus Christ.
To be honest, I’ve spent a fair chunk of 20 years arguing creation vs. evolution and have seen blood spilled on both sides of the battle line. The debate became old and tired to me, not because I don’t think it’s important, but because it became a broken record.
My attention is drawn elsewhere. I’m now more interested in serving the Creator than debating creationism. I’m more motivated to reach a world with a lost population, than to fight over the means of how that world became populated. I’d rather pray for a science guy who is deeply loved by his Creator, than fight a science guy who loves to hide from his Creator.
Join the discussion and leave a comment!